Friday 22 April 2011

Stretford

Hi Everyone
We have arrived here in Stretford and settled in with the Watch Tower Cruiser Club they are a great bunch of boaters of every kind there are big ones, little ones, Old ones, New ones, some have had cosmetic work some need cosmetic work, highly decorated ones and the downright knackered ones, and the boats are quite varied as well???
One thing they all have in common is their passion for Boats and Boating. The club as I might have said before is a little gem of boating history and a must to visit if you are passing.
It has been a long day today this morning I had to change the fan belts all thee of them unfortunately nobody warned me of the razor sharp ridges on the belt pulley I now have both thumbs with deep slashes in them + two fingers I just hope that they will be ok for playing the guitar tomorrow. Noreen took Dad to the good Friday vigil at church this afternoon it is a very solemn service and to be honest over my head so I elected to look after the boat, It also gave me time to set up shop, with it being a lovely day it encouraged lots of walkers onto the canal footpath which is great for the shop so I did some painting and sold quite a few items. But other that the selling which is very nice people love to hear about the tradition of canal art and canal history it is also nice to put many myths bed about the canal I also like to inspire kids to learn about their local canal and what a part it played in the history of their town.
I am sat here at the moment with a good glass of port the light is just starting to dim. A very slight drizzle has started fall settling the dust and making all those spring smells come alive, on the far side of the canal foot path there are some quite large hawthorn which are in full bloom, the smell is fantastic, the houses around here must be at least 2000 yards away but with the good weather lots of keen people have been mowing the grass, the two combined smells are wonderful, if one could only bottle it for cold winter nights.
That slight drizzle I spoke about has now started to become a storm so I will have to dash and batten down

Big Al



No comments: