Tuesday 2 June 2015

At the moment we are sitting out the storm that we have been expecting all day
This morning I knew we had to leave our mooring at Gargrave having used up our three day mooring allocation, I do hate boats that overstay, so I tend to try and not do it. So again I ruined Noreens sleep by starting the engine at 06.45 again she astounded me with more words she says her Dad had taught her.?? However my early start was to be proved right, for after taking on water, doing three locks and three swing bridges in an increasing wind with speeds up to 30mph. Having made great time we entered Skipton at 10.30   and had the pick of at least three moorings we (Noreen) decided to take the one opposite Morrison’s much to Noreens  pleasure  I agreed . By 14.00hrs the moorings were all full the boat astern and the boat forward and a few other boats we have come to know  are boats we have been this has been passing and being overtaken by since Manchester, quite a little convoy for over a week so we are now all huddled together sheltering from what can only be described as a very violent storm I have had to use ratchet straps to hold down my top box covers and taken everything else off the roof.
That sounds quite horrific but really it is quite calming all the boaters are “in the same boat” and all have decided to sit the next 24hrs out. There is a great deal of camaraderie with sharing of ropes and straps (it would appear I am the only on with spare rope and straps but Jim astern is sharing beer so all is equal in the end.
I would normally put pics on the blog but who wants to see pics of waves on a canal???????
I am now off to bed and see what the morning brings.
As I was out last night in that storm lashing my boat down and helping others do he same and getting soaked doing it I awoke this  morning to a sunny yet still windy  morning. In the night I have developed a bad cough, soar throat and sneezes, so its off across the road to Morrisons for some paracetamol, Strepsils and lemons OH yes and a full English that should sort out the bloody cold.
Cary on Boating

Big Al

No comments: