Thursday 24 July 2014

What a wonderful Day on the Cut



Hi everyone

In my last communique I said we would be back in Fettlers by the Thursday But as with everything with boating we are very fluid  and things rarely go to plan and to that effect we are still here in Scarisbrick.
The weather is so nice, the mooring is good, and the fishing excellent so why rush, my only problem is I am missing my shed I know its pathetic but and man and his shed should never be parted for to long I have even suggested to Noreen that we get a butty build a shed on it and tow it along, Well it sounded like a plan to me?????? Noreen had different ideas and having being married for 45 years  I agreed?????
Whilst we have had plenty of visitors none more special than todays I entertained Margaret and John two old school friends Margaret and I could not decide if we were actually girl friend boy friend but as there was a gang of about eight of us its hard to remember. However to chat over what were very happy times, those halcyon days of the last year of school all your dreams and expectation ahead of you Ohhh only if we knew then what we know now. I often wonder if it would have stopped us doing anything or doing it in a different way I tend to not. For It’s the mistakes we make that build us into who we are today. It was of course great to catch up, swapping snippets on the net is good but there is nothing like a good old face to face chat.
I have a little trouble with the central heating (not that I need it but winter will be here soon, it’s a very simple problem the clock just will not switch on, so having discussed the problem with the experts the census of opinion was to buy a new clock timer , Now the one I have at the moment is a 8 day clock quite a sophisticated one and so it should be at a cost of £180.00 I decided on the cheaper version of £120 yesterday I was about to fit the new clock however on removing the existing £180 one I noticed that amid the electronic wizardry was guess what a bloody £2.50 battery so if anyone wants a clock timer for a marine webesco central heating system I have a spare one.
On this Marina I have a mooring tucked up in the far corner. Now 21.00 hrs the sun has just about lost its heat and turning the sky that lovely mustard colour as it sets over Southport and sinks into the Irish Sea. I have the bow of the boat headed into the breeze so we have a soft breeze blowing the full length of the boat. There is still enough light in the sun to reflect all the colours of the boats in the water its always a spectacular sight the only other place I have noticed it was on Malta with those wonderfully painted fishing boats. Whilst we were there I was talking to one of the fishermen, when I told him I lived on a boat he insisted we took the “eye of Orpheus “ which all their boats carry for luck, ours is still above the cratch door. This evening the water is so calm I feel as if I am an intruder casting my fishing line and making the most gentlest of splashes, Ducks mainly mallards a few moorhens are nestling in the reed bed and bedding down for the night. Even now in this dying light there is a buzzard soaring high probably looking for that first rabbit of the evening to appear ( Hey we all have to live) Although I may have just painted an idyllic picture I still remember the sun sets over Openshaw you saw the odd one through the steel works fog and sometimes when they opened the furnace at night and poured the molten steel into the ingots the glow and the sparks were as good as any sunset beauty is all around us all we have to do is look.
Here are a few pics taken tonight (I missed the sunset)
God Bless

Big Al



No comments: