Monday 22 July 2013

Watch your Diesel Tanks



Hi Quick Update

We arrived on te River Nene on Friday night  this was good timing as Friday nights have become Weatherspoons night just for medicinal purposes you understand? 
Sat I did a lot of maintenance on the boat, the Middle levels leave a lot to put right whist conducting a full inspection I realised I was down to ¼ of a tank of diesel as there are no boat yards tat sell diesel I thought good old Google and a few calls later I found a garage quite close  that would sell me at a good price so after lugging 50ltr of fuel ½ a mile across country we decanted 40ltr into Buggerlugs. We did this in full few of everyone passing by as you would. Then we went shopping for the afternoon. The following morning (yesterday we set off down the Nene thinking I had enough fuel now to get me down to the Grand Union, fortunately for us I decided last night to dip the tank to my surprise and horror I was down to less tan ¼ of a tank which would have meant I had used 50ltr in one day, as that would be impossible the only explanation is I had been DONE by diesel thieves. In broad day light on a busy mooring (Next chandlers I buy a locking cap) Horses and Stable doors come into mind. First time ever I think I should have taken advice from Midland Swindlers as they suggested that I get one in the spring. However again using Google we found a boat club that would sell us some diesel so, another 137ltr in the tank that brings the total to aprox £180 in fuel in three days! nobody ever say to me that boating is cheap???????
This morning Because we needed fuel we set out early 07.45 just as the mist was rising I always think tat is a very magical time of day so quiet, peaceful and cool,
its now 16.30  and Noreen has found a great mooring, We have traveled through the heat of the hottest day of the year and we are knackered we have both showered and both need to shower again. I can only say that we are serious seasoned travelers and have experienced heat in many countries and on many continents but this heat in this country is something so rare that it has overwhelmed us all. We are now both in the recumbent position Noreen is reading I am writing!!!  Awaiting the sun to go down 

No comments: