Friday 19 July 2013

Hi Everyone
We are now off the Great River Ouse and have crossed the middle levels to Peterborough. Crossing the middle Levels was relatively easy in fact we did it in under ten hours Yesterday was a maul getting off the Ouse as we had to wait for the tide that took three hours but you can’t rush these things can you look what happened to King Chanute ?? I am not sad to be away from the Ouse though the river was wonderful, the scenery was as you would think monotonous though it held its own charm and fascination  and of course we visited the fens at their best the weather was perfect. One aspect of the Ouse I did not like was the constant war between Narrow boats and Cruisers Now this is not my own opinion for as you know I do not express them too easily, but the opinion portrayed by many boaters it would appear that the larger cruiser ( large is an unfortunate word they are just wider than Narrowboats) anyhow they seem to have an impression that everyone on the river should give way to them, I soon dispelled that line of thought by keeping a straight heading and not giving an inch the myth of condescending attitude soon faded when they see 19 ton of steel heading towards them at. At a lock one of these boaters ask “could we go in front of you as we go faster than “”these things”” pointing at Buggerlugs, my reply was short and succinct in the form of that Buggerlugs was not a thing and if she wanted to go ahead of me then today was not her lucky day, She replied that she would have to report back to the “Captain” I ask if the captain was a good swimmer she or the captain did not return ,,  now was I not polite.
The thing that amazed me was the sheer audacity, the attitude of superiority, some of these boaters exhibited. And the fact that other boaters in smaller craft are letting them get away with it. I have no idea where it has come from, but believe me down on the river Ouse it is rife and a real war is emerging I am just sorry I will not be there to join in the fun???
We are now set to negotiate the river Nene to it conclusion as it joins the Grand Union Canal. It will be nice to get back on the canal were the pace is a little slower bridges are numbered, you can moor were you think fit, your map actually tells you where you are and everyone is equal.

Its a good job Buggerlugs and Orion get on, as we spend a lot of
"Buttied Up"along side each other, as mo orings are very few and far between

Last night on the Ouse was also my Birthday which of course meant a BBQ
moored up alongside a pub (its a hard life
Noreen at the helm leading us off the River Ouse
Cruisers keep to their own side when Noreen is at the helm I should really have warning lights and maybe a siren???


The last stretch of middle reaches very beautiful with the setting sun 
but I had just done 8 hours,but somehow scenes like this seem to lift the spirits



It was some time before I understood this sign it reads

Please Ensure slackers are closed before 
leaving the lock 
I was never sure if the slacker phrase depicted a person of immoral value, a piece of loose clothing  or a piece of equipment ??
As I say Darn sarth its very odd 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahoy there Captain.
It sounds like you are enjoying yourselves. We can imagine you were respectful and tactful when dealing with the Cruisers!!
Make sure the fridge is well stocked for next weekend and remind Nudge not to burn the ginger nut this time!!