Monday 20 May 2013

Here we go again


Well Here we go again
Since leaving Anderton the engine and connecting parts have been up to the standard  required by a very eccentric skipper, Noreen says I am a perfectionist I say I just need it right!!
The first night after Anderton we stayed just above Kings Lock John and I needed to visit the chandlers at Kings lock We had decided to do away with the temporary repair on Johns boat and have two battery straps made up. The guy at the chandlers could not have been more helpful, even though he was busy (getting ready for the Crick show) he stopped everything an made up the two straps yes a really nice guy and great service, he needs a mention. We shared the mooring with about 60 Swans I have never seen so many they all seemed to be last years fledglings as they were all loosing the grey plumage . After leaving Middlewich we set off again with the prospect of facing more inclement weather and heart break hill, this is the 30 locks that climb out of Cheshire into Staffordshire . These locks are strange as they take the form of two separate locks side by side ( those that are still working) with Kath and Noreen working in tandem we had soon completed the first 16 were we decided to spend the night at lock 57 or as we call it “baked bean lock” think about it.  The following day We completed the rest of the locks in record time but decided to spend the night in Red Bull and tackle  The infamous Harecastle Tunnel. Now here is were the tale takes a downward spiral, whilst waiting to go through the tunnel I was helping a boat butty up to John
As I was getting off I missed my footing and went A over T, trying to protect my feeble  frame I put my hand out, which I now realise was not a good idea as 13 stone landing on an already weakened wrist . As I had an audience I did a rather good impression of someone inspecting the gravel path. Having picked myself up dusted myself down and assured everyone that the path was in good order it was time to go through the tunnel. The tunnel was easy though my wrist had started to ache we managed the tunnel without incident ??  We all pulled in again for a lunch break I have no idea what happed but again I did a complete A over T with the exact consequences as the previous tumble now tripping once you could call irresponsible twice within an hour is pure stupidity, However this time I felt the pain but not wanting to complain we again set off luckily it was an easy run we even filled up with diesel and had a pump out 84p for diesel and £10 for the pump out that was a good deal. The next hour was completed in a certain amount of pain Noreen insisted that we pull in and find a hospital, which I agreed to do.
We had moored amid some very nice houses with very nice gardens going down to the canal, as it was Sunday tea time and not such a bad day lots of people were out and about, it wasn’t long before everyone had rallied to our aid telling us of the nearest hospital and giving us taxi phone numbers to cut it short by 7.00pm I was in A&E at Staffor
dshire university Hospital, having joined many queues Triage, Doctor, Xray, Doctor, Nurse and of course back to Doctor, leaving the hospital at 22.00 we considered ourselves lucky. I now have my arm in a plaster splint and will be so for the next 10 days were I will find another hospital to take it off. I wonder if I should write a book on the various hospitals within reach of the canal system  
On the whole things are going very well as usual meeting lots of wonderful people seeing wonderful sights and having a good time

Mat your God go with you
Big Al


Waiting to pass through Harecastle Tunnel

only a few of the Swans above Kings Lock

M6 as seen from lock 57 how nice to see the world go rushing by

I know how stupid this looks but honestly it was jusr an accident 
I will find time to be more careful because quite seriously I have had enough
of hospitals 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Know you feel a silly bugger??????
Which you are!!!

I am a bit concerned about the falling, Noreen did Alan mention at the hospital that he'd tripped over twice?

The arm will heal but I suggest if the tripping over continues Al, you do the sensible thing and get yourself to the doc's ......PLEASE!!

Great to read you're having fun !!....... ??

Downunda x