Sunday 11 September 2011

Its not all about boats

A few days ago we went to Old Colwyn to visit a friend. As Noreen was driving (I am still not allowed to drive because of the accident (all I can say is they should have seen my driving before the accident,)Also if I am restricted from driving my car because of a head injury I wonder if I am allowed to skipper a boat????????

Anyway back to the original story Noreen decided to use the main A55 as I was a passenger I was able to let my mind wonder to when as a very young boy I am talking 1948 to 1964 we as a family use to go to Talacre between Rhyl and Prestatyn. I am not sure who but someone in the family owned a Bungalow in Talacre and everyone use to book their share through Nin (Granny) we always had two weeks but in that two weeks we would have Aunties Uncles cousins call in for a few days I remember it being great fun and never once did I hear a bad word about anyone and we never fell out or had a row ( Could it happen today) But the Bungalow had no electric so, No Telle, wee, game boy, or any other deception of enjoyment.
I can really recount those serene days with great love. I know at my age things in the past seem so peaceful but well you can never forget the good bits only the bad bits.
So that little trip to a few days ago to Wales prompted me to pull this out of the book I am writing. My family consisted of Mum Dad and three brothers. Dad was the first in the street to get a car and what a car if anyone can remember it was an old Austin 12 with runner boards.


Our Holidays
We’re off to Talacre that’s near Prestatyn North Wales

We’re off to escape the rain and force ten gales

Dads made a route card with toilet stops in red

Mams packed everything, not leaving the folding bed

Sandwiches, flask, comic, I-spy book on knee

we’re off on holiday mi Mam mi Dad mi brothers and me


How far now Dad? Altringham we just past

Not long, with the car loaded, we can’t go fast

How long now Dad Chester just gone by

We’ll stop for a picnic at Queensberry

We’re on Holiday mi Mam mi Dad mi brothers and me


Our kids been sick which is nothing new

Mam said it was the second brew

Dad mends a puncture and a radiator leak

four hours in traffic were starting to reek

The end is in sight past Connors Quay

Now we’re on holiday mi Mam mi Dad brothers and me


Our Holiday home comes into view

Keys under the mat, smells all fresh and new

Right you lot into line (Dads playing Army again)

With military precision we start the game

unpack car, make beds, stow food, get changed,

every year always the same, But

We’re on holiday mi Mam mi Dad mi brothers and me


First day out Mam doe’s us butties of ham and paste

with our lot there ‘s never any waist

we pack them in paper with pop and a flask

We Know where we’re going, no need to ask

The lighthouse, with a view of the sea

We’re on holiday mi Mam mi Dad mi brothers and me


Dad takes us fishing out at low tide

out with his sons, you can see the pride

Dad shows us worms, how to dig, were to look

setting lines and baiting the hook

Dad enjoys fishing in the sea

He’s on holiday with mi Mam mi brothers and me


Playing all day, cards at night

no worries at all no need to fight

fish and chips at night and sharing a bed

suns been hot and sent mi skin all red

I loved my holidays in Talacre by the sea

With mi Mam mi Dad mi brothers and me


 

No comments: