Tuesday 7 December 2010

Winter

Winter
Winter
I promised that I would not complain on this one so here is something that may cheer you up.
Unless you have to travel to work everyday through the ice and snow.
Whilst everyone around us has been moaning about the adverse weather we are suffering, for the first time since I left school I have been enjoying it.
Since leaving school we have always had to struggle through the snow and ice into work or struggle to get kids to school, especially work as so many people depended on us being in work. Now though we can stay in bed until the sun comes through the port holes and warms the earth. Or like this morning I was out early taking photos of the absolutely beautiful scenes around the marina, it was like a fairy wonderland with frosted trees that seem to sparkle in the morning light. The Holly bush was displaying leaves of dark green edged with a white frosted border, the boats as still as statues encased in a iron fist of ice; a light covering of snow hiding the usual vibrant colours and shrouding them in the uniform white, one or two chimneys dispensing grey puffs of smoke showing sign of the inhabitants stirring within. My now very tame Robin chirping his way to an early breakfast, and being quite a bully protecting the feed until his wife has had her fill, then the tits move in two or three at a time using their agility and acrobatics to empty the food containers. Yes it was a very magical scene, and of course the most magical thing of all, I have time to stand and stare. (See bottom of blog.) and enjoy it. As I said before sometimes when we have busy lives we do not seem to appreciate what is around us, when you are driving though 6 inches of snow you don't have time to marvel at the frosted spiders web.
I do feel for all the sorry souls who have had to struggle through the hardships of the cold snap and continue with their daily toil, but for me I am loving it.
Having time on my hands I managed to get ourselves and Buggerlugs well prepared for this kind of event, so I have very little to do except keep an eye on things, keep the water in the stand pipes running, keep the engine from freezing up (the engines cooling system is two tanks welded into the rear of the boat along the stern which is now sat in 5 inches of ice) keeping our little burner stoked up and keeping Buggerlugs very cosy.
If I have made living on the boat through a hard frost sound somewhat idyllic I am glad because that's what it is
Though idyllic as it is, this time last year we were complaining that it was too hot to sleep as we drove and camped our way along the coast down to Sydney. That's the problem though we are never satisfied are we, maybe we should thank God we woke up, and live each day for what it is and Treat the PRESENT as a GIFT.

Big Al

What is this life if full of care
we have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the brow
and stare as long as sheep or cow.
No time to see when woods we pass
were squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see in broad daylight
streams full of stars like Sky's at night.
Poor life this if full of care
we have no time to stand and stare.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

What a lovely post! Quite similar to mine, I too was blown away by the magical site I woke up to. I agree how sad that most people don't see the beauty around them, they are too busy complaining about the cold, to see how wonderful the world looks coated in frost that twinkles in the morning sunlight!

Debbie.

Alan said...

Thanks Debbie
Lets just appreciate for those less fortunate