Monday 30 August 2010

Sunny Stretford


Gerry & Chris"s boat next to us in Castlefield


Roger on the trip into Manchester


Hello from sunny Stretford, I think not.


Since we arrived last Tuesday it has not stopped raining, I would like to say welcome to Manchester but the Stretfordonians would have something to say about that.

The funeral we came for was yesterday (Thursday) and was very nice if that can be said but I am sure you know what I mean, Funerals are odd things as you know I do believe and I find no problem with saying goodbye to someone because by believe tells me they have returned to a better place so I never feel sad. Now I know some people say that this is a part of the brain covering up and disguising the reality of life and death but it works for me.


Even under these circumstances of Rogers mums’ funeral it has been great seeing him again we have been able to catch up. Last night we all went out for a drink, Noreen, Roger, John, Dianne, Alan and myself, and a lovely evening was had by all. Its hard to believe that we have been friends now for over 40 years, I often wonder if its because we all met through scouting and have a very similar outlook on life, that we have remained good friends for so long; maybe the above when they read this would like to commentAs we have the car here with us (Mat and Lorraine brought it over on Tuesday) we took Tom and Shirley to Bury market today Mackerel for tea and Black pudding for breakfast tomorrowWe have just sorted out next weeks cruise from here to Rufford. Meeting Chris and Gerry in Castlefield Basin on Sunday evening, Keith is joining us on Monday night, Tuesday we set off for Wigan and we should then have a day with the Belthorn crew in Astley Bridge on Thursday. Leaving enough time to get back to the Marina by Saturday lunch.END OF THIS YEARS CRUISE.

For the none boaters and boaters really a word about the wind. Here at the Watch house in Stretford the canal is a 1-mile straight line on a raised embankment that exposes itself to all the elements, especially the wind. In the past few days we have watched boats come down the canal as we call “crabbing” which means your boat progresses almost sideways as the wind catches the side of the boat and uses the side as a sail, and wants to pin you against one of the banks. The wind makes steerage very difficult.

Today I received two phone calls from people entering Castlefield basin with warnings of the wind strength and direction, as it was causing chaos amongst boaters. However, I am staying put, well anchored and roped up until Sunday afternoon when I hope this weather has moved south.


Tomorrow I am off to the Tatton park Vintage car rally with Roger that should be a good day out lets hope the weather changes,


At present I have no internet so this blog will just have to sit in cyber space until I can get on line





Speak Soon





Buggerlugs





No comments: