Monday 24 May 2010

BIRMINGHAM





Birmingham Gas Street

Hi everyone

Yesterday we discovered Birmingham the bull ring Market just like Leeds last year it is like a trip round the world fantastic produce. the buildings and architecture are like Manchester really well kept and they have the most fantastic War Memorial.
Well we left Birmingham on Saturday morning ready to get onto the Grand Union Canal, now the sound of it intimates wide deep canals Well words can be deceiving its narrow, shallow, sticks, full of rubbish and very badly maintained, we suffered this all day Saturday even doing 16 locks at these I had to get the boat hook out and shift the rubbish before I could get the boat in the lock. we kept going all day I spent 7hrs on the tiller tyring to find a decent safe mooring, we eventually moored up late afternoon we were knackered. Sunday we started again we very rarely travel on the weekend but to be honest we had only seen 4 other boats all day yesterday so it was not going to be busy, about 2 hours into the trip the canal widened bridges became wider and the locks became doubles, and things became much much nicer. It is now Monday and we are in Warwick were I am staying whilst Noreen goes back to Blackburn to take the school kids on Safari to Yorkshire. Noreen has a passport and is qualified in the language and customs of that county.
I am being left here to do a full engine service. paint the roof, do some random maintenance, and try to keep myself fed whilst the real boss is away.
We came down 22 locks at Haton today they were really really nice well worth a stop over but today it was just too hot yes I will say that again too hot when I filled up with water I sprayed the top of the boat and scalded myself too blood hot.


That's your lot folks


Buggerlugs signing off

No comments: