Wednesday, 17 September 2008

In praise of the Ambulance service

I know a lot of you are awaiting the outcome of the fishing competition but I am afraid that I am going to have to disappoint you, The competition has been cancelled.

You will under why when you hear our tale of sorrow. Yesterday the first day of the comp Keith arrived at lunchtime, we had a light lunch followed by a relaxing chat about the forthcoming tournament sat on the cratch (thats the pointed covered bit at the front. as it was raining we were relaxing and chilling out. Keith decided that he required something from the rear of the boat then it happened he was coming down the steps out of the engine missed one step and fell (come on we have all done it) anyway I recognised the sound of a bone breaking break and Keith felt it Yes his leg was broke there was no mistake about that; I of course rang for the white van with the flashing blue light. the crew arrived within minutes, then the fun started. anyone who has been on the boat would know the precarious situation we were in Keith had fallen between the bed and the bulk head a gap of about 18 inches Keith's leg by the way was broke about 2 inches from the hip moving him into any position for extraction from the boat was going to difficult and for Keith painful, The Medics were great but because of the restricted space only one medic at a time was able to work on our kid I on the other had had to escort the other around the boat they were very interested in the design and layout, I like them digress, Keith was soon under the influence of some good "stuff" and feeling more relaxed I think this was due to the female medic Jenny having to keep striding over him rather than the "Stuff" having strapped his legs together which brought a flood of profanities from his lips which Jenny shouted back we were ready to get him off the boat, Next problem stretcher 24 inches doors 18 inches Dave the medic decided we would drag him to the lounge area this meant more of the good Stuff, he certainly got his monies worth. when he was eventually comfortable in the lounge we then transversed him to the scoop board Keith was then unceremoniously carried out of the boat along the gang way then we placed the Keith still on the scoop board onto a trolley we use for carrying gas bottles and dragged it all to the ambulance. The whole episode took about three hours all through which Keith remained calm and philosophical about the whole episode only complaining that he would now miss the fishing.

Today he had a op they have placed a rod into the femur and pinned it all together, at the moment he looks a bit rough but I am sure that tomorrow he will look better.

I would like to say how grateful we are to the Ambulance service they were fantastic even when we were in A&E they returned three times to check on his condition wonderful people.

I will keep you informed of his condition

God speed his recovery


mathew said...

hey this is a message to you match anglers out there if pre baiting your swim or rigging the peg draw is too much hassel
you can always imoblize the opposition

Alan said...

I did not throw him down the stairs, I could always like the a*** of him at fishing!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Al, Glad to hear Keith is on the mend, it was an interesting job to say the least!!! Either get a wider boat or a thinner brother!! Lol!! I will keep checking the blog to find out how Keith is progressing and hopefully will nip down to the boat soon for that promised cup of tea. Please send Keith regards from both Neil and I.