Sunday 27 March 2016

sign sealed and delivered

Hi everyone
Not long after I posted the last instalment I received a phone call to tell us that the lock and the navigation was now open, however that was about 16.00hrs so there was no point in moving as it would soon be getting dark. So 07.00 the following morning both boats were ready to go I must admit this next few miles filled me with great trepidation having been told all the horror stories of the floods I really was expecting trouble.
On leaving Leeds the first lock takes you down onto the river this is were the devastation caused by the floods starts to show, the trees lining the banks show debris up to 12ft/15ft. waals along the tow path had been washed away many boats were left high and dry and others left to a worse fate approaching Knostrop lock were the dredgers were still hard at it all my frustration from the past two weeks ebbed from me and I was left with admiration for the guys (and Gals) who were really doing there best to get things back to normal "what ever that is" I may have had a rough and frustrating trip but we are still alive and the boat is still in one piece.
We reached Castleford by lunch sorted out all we were taking off the boat walked up the road got the hire car (van) loaded all our gear for the next six weeks, had a good few hours talking over the work to be done. with Shane and his crew, I feel confident in leaving Buggerlugs in their capable hands. We left early the next morning sad to be leaving our home behind but I shall be going up every week to keep an eye on things

Thanks for listening to my rants it has been frustrating at times

But here we are now on our surrogate boat we are settled in and will be very comfortable on her

God Bless all 

No comments: