Saturday 5 September 2015

All in a days work

I'm not sure if I have said yet but whilst in Australia we are staying with Noreens Sister and Brother in law Mary and Roger who are really great people and tolerate me which is even better having me for eight weeks is enough to test the patience of a saint. The house is magnificent the host and hostess the best in the world we are so lucky to have them.            I am not sure if its me being a  Jonah or just a spot of bad luck.  Yesterday  it was decided that we take a little trip out in the yacht it a very nice little 40 footer and sails superbly well
Having had our tour of the craft which everyone should have when stepping onto a strange boat when things happen its to late for asking questions, Its a very compact Marina with a lot of very expensive looking boats and not enough room to swing a cat never mind a Boom so people tend to take their craft into open water under power as we cruised away from the mooring a felt very save in the hands of our skipper who I may add was handling the yacht extremely well, having now left the marina behind Roger beckoned me to take the helm while he set the sails. everything was going so well I was even managing to keep the boat on a heading between the channel buoys, it was then I  noticed a very fine haze coming up from the engine bay Now even from my perspective I knew all was well I summoned Roger who left the task of setting sail to investigate. then like a true skipper he shouted cut all engines we have split a heater hose, and within seconds he had emerged from the engine room along the deck and tossed over the anchor as we were now say marooned just to starboard of the main Channel, and about 10 min out of the marina Such is life, Roger phoned the breakdown recovery and we nothing else to do but sit and watch the Dolphins who had turned up for a nosey and a good laugh at our expense. The engine is a Vetus not my favourite engine and of course put together by someone with a over active sense of humour, why do they do it the hose that was split could have had a temp repair IF we were able to get to it whoever the engineer was really stitch us up by putting the jubilee clip on with the screw head facing the alternator and no room at all to loosen it off so it was decided to make the best of it and enjoy the watching everyone sail and cruise by while we waited for the recovery. our Tow truck arrived and very professionally we were breasted up and under-way within minutes having been returned to marina it was time to get home fro a good G&T 

Rescue boat arrives

Mary & Noreen looking for Dolphin

                                                     Breasted up with rescue boat

Two sisters enjoying the day



No comments: