Friday 26 June 2015

YORK End of the Line

Here we are again

Wednesday morning dawned not to bad grey but dry, we were due at the lock ready to go down at 12.00 as  usual at any lock there is always a queue so we just sat there and waited our turn. The lock keeper is the one in charge and for safety reasons splits the boats up so that the lock is never crowded it was fine really as it gave John and I time to see how the boats manoeuvred out of the lock and onto the River Ouse as at this time we were going out on a high tide. No nautical terms as I would get more confused than you.
Everyone going down looked a little apprehensive and in some cases near hysterical. By the time our turn came around I was first in the lock and so first out of the lock I could see the sign of relieve on Johns face as I would be leading the convoy of four boats. We were instructed by the lock keeper that we were to stay where we were until he waved us out as he would have to check for oncoming boats and debris whist waiting for the signal to go I did noticed in front of the lock gates a tree going passed at about 15 knots down river it was then that the lock keeper gave the thumbs up, with a big deep breath I pushed Buggerlugs in gear and head her out into open water the tide was running from my starboard and I wanted buggerlugs to go to port anyway the tide was pushing my bow in the right direction and within no time we were travelling in a straight line (sort of)
Ahead was quite old a three arch bridge like most bridges on tidal waters the pillars of these bridges are bedecked with all sorts of debris The lock keeper informed us all that when approaching the bridge we were to go through the centre arch. However as I approached and lined the boat up I realised that the tree I had seen raging past the lock gate was now blocking the right hand Arch  I swung the tiller as hard as I could and with all my power held it there Buggerlugs responded wonderfully and soon we where heading crab like through the centre arch looking behind I was glad to see the other boats had seen what I was doing which gave them plenty of time to get themselves lined up for the centre Arch. From that point on the journey was rather uneventful if not chaotic I never expected to see so much debris it was like a slalom course for narrow boats. We had the usual Trees, logs, traffic, cones however I was not expecting to notice a dead cow and later a dead Goat
After an hours sail we were in slack water (the tide had stopped coming in) and the river became slow and quiet. On reaching Naburn lock we had completed our trip on the tidal Ouse. For after this the Ouse becomes none tidal and a mile from the lock we were on our mooring at York Marina. Which is a very pleasant spot and will do for a week we have water and electric here so we can sit back and take it easy having facilities enables me to get the boat ready for the return trip Today I have done a engine service so that’s now out of the way.
The only thing that is annoying me here is the bloody Plastic Chickens (these are the fibreglass cruisers Dad always called them Gin Palaces) some of these boats are in the 100s of 10000s and are big enough to cross the channel, and should be moored in a harbour BUT  here they are the problem is that they have very little draught and therefore with the speed they cruise at cause great waves in their wake, ( the rivers do not carry a speed limit) In my opinion these boats and boaters are only on the river for two reasons COST and Ignorance, its cheaper on the river, here they have a better chance of Posing to the tourists, its Friday and since 15.00hrs I estimate 25 boats have left the moorings and headed up to York about 45min cruise there they will monopolise all the mooring what ever there are, when moorings have been exhausted they will breast up mooing side by side for the weekend and then start drinking and partying making it uncomfortable for all the other boaters .The other reason they are not in a harbour and subsequently being on the sea is: you need to know something about sailing, something that these daft buggers know nothing about. That tirade is about the sea going Cruisers, not the river cruisers that are smaller and built for the river we must not get the two confused.
Tomorrow we are off to Ripon we are not able to get Buggerlugs there as the locks are too small so we have now reached the limit of our journey north next week we turn south for the trip home.
God Bless

Buggerlugs

Some of the Debris to be Negotiated 


Best not go any further Just notice the pile of debris awaiting to be leashed onto the river 

Noreen in our new home cafe for a week

Our first day off in York



No comments: