Wednesday 20 July 2022

 Good morning campers 


Yesterday was quite an exciting day though it could have turned out quite differently ??


One of our friends came for a days fishing and every thing was going fine sun was a little hot but hey you cant complain can you

As the sun was so strong I thought why waste it so I disconnected the electric land line and switched on the solar panels (free electric ) everything was going well until I went down to the engine room and noticed a very strange smell now one thing you do not want on a boat or at least an engine room is a strange smell it always indicates something wrong. So I spent a good frantic 10 min tracking down this smell that was getting steadily worse. I eventually found the fault it was a battery that was over heating steam was coming out of the breather hole. Now this is serious as batteries that over heat can blow up so speed was now the imperative that battery had to be isolated and removed. Access to my engine bay is about 2ft by 4ft with a marine engine sat in the middle to get access to the batteries well I will just say its difficult especially when limbs are not as flexible as they once were. The isolation was easy enough but then it had to come out now dont go imagining that these are normal batteries like your car these are double the size and double the weight my first attempt was a failure as the handles had almost melted and just slipped off so I had to quickly make up a rope sling, this worked and I eventually extracted the now very hot heavy smoking battery all the time expecting it to explode. All this was in the space of about 45 min waking this morning I have to back into the depths of the engine room (it should be know as Engine No Room ) and rearrange the spare battery and check that everything is still working I am sure it is as there is no more smoke ? At least today's tidy up I wont be expecting anything to blow up though Noreen will still be there with her Fire extinguisher the last fire we had was again in the engine room we used two extinguishers dry foam it took tow years to get rid of the dust

If I write again tomorrow you will know all was successful though I have no doubt it will be


Just to say how exciting life afloat can be ???

God Bless Stay Safe


Buggerlugs   


No comments: